I was very blessed to be sent a package of this bright and fragrant matcha tea by So Matcha in Stoneridge.
So Matcha sent me a pack of culinary grade So Matcha tea and ask me to make some culinary delights with it. Of course I said yes – that is like asking a kid to go play in the local park – a whole lot of fun!
To be honest though, before today, I had only heard about matcha tea and had never tasted it. So I thought I better taste it as a tea, to get a feel for its taste and texture and body.
I put a teaspoon of the very fine textured 100% pure stone ground green tea leaf powder from Uji, Japan into my tea strainer – and then realised that it probably didn’t need the tea strainer as the powder dissolves into the hot water.
My first action point was to smell the tea – a little bit like damp leaves. The colour is this beautiful bright green that definitely catches your attention.
Tasting it, I was surprised. The taste is very subtle. It has a slightly bitter taste to it and hangs around at the back of your mouth after you have finished taking a sip. None of the other flavour profiles seem to really stick out. It does have the ever so faint – almost not worth mentioning – sour taste. But like I said, very subtle and it doesn’t cause my face to screw up as if I had taken a bite of a sour worm.
The more I drink it, the more I like it. It is definitely very soothing and it feels very healthy – which is the ultimate bonus really if you had to think about it.
Health Benefits of So Matcha Tea
So speaking of how healthy it feels and tastes – I thought I would share with you the real health benefits that you are feeling and tasting in your mouth.
- High in anti-oxidants – 125 times more anti-oxidants than spinach to be exact!
- Packed with Catechin, EGCg
- Enhances calm – like I said, it’s very soothing
- Boosts memory and concentration
- Increases energy levels and endurance (I could definitely use this benefit!) – 10 times more energy than Monster energy drink, 8 times more than Coke and 4 times more than Red Bull – and it’s a healthy energy drink!
- Burns calories – burns fat 4 times faster than the average dietary aid!
- Detoxifies the body
- Fortifies the immune system
- Improves cholesterol
- 1 cup of So Matcha Tea has the benefit of 10 cups of normal brewed green tea
So with all these amazing health benefits and lifestyle benefits (yay more energy, more memory, less fat!) I think this is definitely a tea I would like to drink more often!
If you would like to buy some So Matcha Tea – because I know that when my pack is finished I definitely will be doing so – you can email So Matcha here or visit their website here or view their Facebook page here.
**Disclaimer: So Matcha sent me a free package of their culinary grade matcha tea powder and asked me to make some culinary delights with it. However, the opinions are my own and the photos are my own. Please respect that. **